Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Paper Twine

So, I stumbled on this tutorial the other day and felt inspired. I don't happen to have a spindle, or any yarn making experience but I thought I might want to try making some decorative twine out of an old magazine I had sitting around. What you see here is the result.

I made a little card to wrap my twine around out of a cereal box. You really do need something to wrap around as you go, or the paper has trouble holding together. I think this would be great to wrap around a gift instead of ribbon, and is a nice way to re-use an item many of us read through once and then get rid of (though truth be told, I'm horrible about keeping magazines around forever).

I'm going to try to come up with a few other things to do with old magazines and newspapers, maybe even some paper mache projects are going to happen. I've seen some pretty great paper mache going on in the craft world lately.



Do you have any great projects using newspapers and magazines? I'm currently trying to make some beads, details to come.


3 comments:

  1. how about this one?

    http://www.everynothingwonderful.com/2011/04/tutorial-repurposed-envelopes-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That's cool, I've always done the decorative paper on the inside, but if I had some larger images, it would be really cool on the outside of envelopes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why not try the coiled paper things? I have been doing so many beads that I wanted a change and so I started the coiled paper and absolutely love it. Check out Pinterest for lots of ideashttp://www.pinterest.com/lisavanhyle/rolled-folded-paper-projects/

    ReplyDelete