Monday, June 27, 2011

My First Signs of Summer

As I have mentioned before, the husband and I have decided to challenge our normally black thumb's this year and started an indoor garden. I'm excited to say, it doesn't appear I have killed anything yet, and were it not for our weather only warming up today, I feel many of the things I started from seeds would be much further along now than they are. I bought my tomato starts at the farmer's market, mostly because I really love tomatoes and I wanted to make sure they were started on the right track. This picture shows the first of my little Sun Gold tomatoes starting top turn orange! Yum! I can't wait to throw these onto salads and bruschetta!

Speaking of salad, here is some of our Little Gem lettuce. I have to say, if you are a novice gardener like myself I would highly recommend starting out with lettuces. All of mine sprouted quickly and have been doing just great. One of my co-workers is from Hawaii and has even given me some seeds for a Hawaiian lettuce variety, I believe Manoa. Once it is bigger, I'll be sharing that with you as well, I'm pretty impressed with myself to be making all of this grow. We even have some yummy basil getting bigger by the minute.

To really Impress you all, I may take a photo of the whole garden in front of out window. Our tomato plants are freakishly huge, the Sweet 100's are about 8 feet tall. Had I known they would get that large, I wouldn't have done tomatoes, my poor little apartment barely has room for me to move anymore.

Are any of you gardening? Are you lucky enough to have something outdoors or are you limited to indoor containers like me? I'd love to hear what kind of things you are growing and if they are having much luck this year.



Asiatic Lily Mix Sale - Save 80%


8 comments:

  1. I have a few things going outside - tomatoes, red peppers, green peppers, and poblano peppers. Oddly the poblano plant isn't doing so well. Maybe that's what I get for planting it in the same pot as the tomato. I also have some herbs going too - chives, basil, Thai basil, sweet mint, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint, and apple mint. The herbs are doing much better now that they are inside. I killed a rosemary and lavender plant within a month's time when they were inside. Indoors, I have some various succulents and cacti. Sadly, I recently killed a few succulents as I found out that a few of them don't like direct sunlight. Who knew that desert plants would hate sunlight? I guess I'll keep my succulents out of direct sun for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a variety seed pack of peppers, but only one sprouted and it's still teeny tiny. I don't think this year's weak Summer in Portland is gonna do the trick for peppers.

    ::sad trombone::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled on your blog, and I LOVE this post! We live in an apartment, and have only a few plants. I have a hanging planter with 9 succulents (although two of them were so damaged at the Home Depot I don't think they'll make it!). We also have an 8 foot tall ficus that someone threw away. We rescued it with 20 leaves on it. It shot up 3 feet and now has millions of leaves in only a year! We also have a fiddle-leaf fig tree that is prospering happily in our living room, and a little planter of herbs. Our complex has two Hawaiian ti plants that aren't doing so well. I don't think they're enjoying the constant temperature changes or the watering schedules haha! We're thinking of bringing them into our home and nursing them back to health. We seem to do well with the rescues!

    Your post made me realize we could do all kinds of things! We face due south, so we have sun all day. I'm wondering if a tomato plant already sprouting at Menards would do okay moving into our home. I think I'm going to grab some seeds and have my guy build me some shelves to keep the kitties out of the pots! Thank you for the inspiration! I think I'm going to do a post on my own plants :)

    Jasmine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't think plants would do well with me rescuing them at all! Though, I am doing much better than I ever thought I would with the garden. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the blog!

    ~Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo very pretty lettuce...and what a cute blog! good luck with your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! That reminds me, I better go water some stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! I usually have a black thumb, too. Planned on growing a few herbs this year and Cilantro sent me down the path to addiction. Cilantro led to tomatoes, which led to peppers, which led to cucumbers... The list goes on and on. 42+ pots on our patio. I'm crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 42 pots is crazy, granted if I had the space I'd probably have that many too. :D

    ReplyDelete