Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Food Craft: Chocolate Eclair Torte

Today's food craft is super duper easy and delicious! It's an ice box cake style dessert. This means you assemble it and then set it in the refrigerator to magically become delicious! I will also state that I generally use vanilla pudding in this recipe, but you may use any kind you like. Also, if you want to make your own homemade pudding, by all means do, I just wanted to share an extra easy recipe with you all this Friday (it has been a hectic week).

You will need:

1 family size (6.5 servings) instant pudding mix
3 cups milk (for making the pudding)
2 sleeves of graham crackers
1 container Cool Whip whipped topping
1 container of chocolate frosting (I only use about 1/2 the container, even when frosting generously)

First, mix your desired flavor of pudding according to the package instructions. Add your container of cool whip to the pudding and mix together well.

Next, place a layer of graham crackers in a baking dish of your choosing (this would also work well if you had some square individual sized containers). On top of your graham cracker layer add about 1/3 of your pudding mixture and spread evenly. Place another layer of graham crackers on top, then pudding, and so on until you have used the pudding up. Make sure to place a layer of graham crackers on the very top as evenly as possible.

Then, gently spread frosting over the top. It helps to use room temperature frosting and space globs of it over the top and spread them to meet each other. This way you don't move your crackers around too much and make a mess. *You can also microwave your frosting and pour over the top, as suggested by Melenie below!

Once you have your frosting covering your top layer of graham crackers, cover your dish with plastic wrap (or if you are lucky enough to have a container with a lid that will not touch and mess up your pretty frosting, place the lid on it and set it in the refrigerator. I recommend you refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but over night is even better.

Then, just slice and serve, it tastes just like chocolate eclairs!







7 comments:

  1. It's even better if you make the filling half pudding and half Cool Whip!

    (Sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to make graham crackers from scratch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm graham crackers from scratch...

    And yeah, sister, you know me, I forgot to get cool whip. The pudding on it's own was still yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So - remember when I said that I wasn't sure if the BBQ would be pot luck or not? Yeah, I changed my mind. We're going to need lots of dessert. :)

    Danni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danni--I thought you might decide I was in charge of desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been making this for years. Melt the frosting in the microwave and pour it on, it is much easier to spread and goes on real smooth.

    ReplyDelete