Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Food Craft: Pizza Monkey Bread


I got a little creative with things in the fridge the other day and this is the result: pepperoni pizza monkey bread. It was pretty tasty, and I'm sure I will try it again. Once again, it gave me reason to own a bundt pan, but if you don't, you could also make these in individual serving sizes in muffin tins (baking time will be much lower).


To make this monkey bread at home you will need:

One can of your favorite refrigerated biscuit dough (making 8 biscuits), or mix up a batch of your favorite biscuit dough from scratch

1 small package of pepperoni (we had some leftover from a large package from pizza night)

About 5 Tablespoons pizza sauce (you can use more or less depending on your taste)

1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese

1/2 stick butter, melted (add some garlic if you like!- I Do!)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and lightly grease your bundt pan. Set aside.

Open your biscuit dough and cut each biscuit into four pieces (you may cut smaller pieces if you wish, mine were just a bit more than "bite size"). Set these on a plate, and prepare your other ingredients.



Once you have everything ready, dip your biscuit pieces into your butter (or garlic butter) and start to layer your monkey bread into your greased pan. Since the bottom will become the top, I generally start by layering in some pepperoni so it will look kinda nice when I turn the pan out. I'll be honest, I wasn't very particular in making this, just layer in each ingredient the way you see fit: some pepperoni, some biscuit pieces, some sauce and some cheese. Layer until you are out of stuff. If you want extra toppings in your bread, you can always flatten out your biscuit pieces, place some toppings in the center and fold them up before layering the biscuits in the pan!

Put into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until your cheese and biscuits have reached your desired level of golden brown and delicious. If you use more sauce it might take a little longer (so you don't have soggy biscuits).

Turn out onto a plate and serve warm.

This is a great way to use up leftovers from a pizza or pasta night, as I did. You could also add peppers, olives, etc to change it up a bit. Enjoy :)

*Also note, if you prefer you can leave the sauce out of the actual monkey bread and serve it on the side for dipping.

6 comments:

  1. this looks so gooooooooooooooood! think i'm gonna make one too esp since the biscuits are BOGO this weekend at my supermarket. thanks for the great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried this today. My girls loved it! Thanks for the fun twist on pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to hear what people think when they try out a recipe or tutorial of mine. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think my favorite thing about the pizza monkey bread is you can add any "toppings" you want in the bread for a whole new taste each time you make it :)

      Delete
  3. just found this and baked a version of it tonight... worked out quite well.. I used a bit more cheese and pepperoni and added a little oregano too.. kept the sauce right about 5 tablespoons.. baked it 40 minutes and it got a nice crunchy shell and baked all the way through.. definitely need to let it rest after turning out of pan maybe 10 minutes. . (which I PAM'd my pan first and no sticking occured)... I broke each biscuit into about 8-12 pieces and spent no time organizing. I just tossed a bit of each ingredient in the pan at a time making sure the biscuits were distributed evenly .. I used the Butter Flavor Grands. it was a bit darker than the one on the picture but that is what made it good.. the crunchy shell... it still cut easily with a fine-tooth serated knife..

    ReplyDelete